My work is about finding resonant ways to express hidden aspects of Nature and the journey of discovery. This research has taken me to the heart of the atom, the beginnings of the universe and the essence of light. I have bachelor’s degrees in Physics and Painting and in 2011 received a Leverhulme Trust Artist in Residence Award for a residency at the Physics Department of Imperial College London. I am happy to be working with scientists at various places including: Imperial College, Cambridge University, Durham University and Massachusetts Institute of Technology.
Though I arrived as a painter, I have explored various media to express my discoveries: film, text, talks and large installations such as advertising billboards and a sunshine powered cinema.
Some recent exhibitions include:
- Screenings of short films at: the Polytechnic Museum, Moscow; the Naughton Gallery, Belfast; and the Imagine Science Film Festival in New York.
- Paintings: A solo show at the Blyth Gallery, Imperial College London and group shows at the Royal Society London and as a finalist of the MK Fringe Painting Prize, selected by the late Michael Stanley, Director of Modern Art Oxford and Turner Prize judge.
Together with talented artist and scientist colleagues I create children's workshops in schools that combine art and science and I give illustrated talks for seasoned scientists, students and the public all with the aim of sharing perspectives on the experience of discovery and some of the beautiful things we know through art.
My current projects include: working with scientists at Imperial, Durham and Oxford Universities to help share the drama and intricacy of building and choreographing molecules and collaborating with the Vienna Complexity Centre to create a diverse and unique meeting, where a myriad different minds come together to consider a single thing.
- Geraldine Cox, January 2018
Some Relevant Information
Selected Recent Shows
- 'Action at a Distance', curated by Shan McAnena. The Naughton Gallery, Queens University, Belfast, 2014.
- 'Imagining Science', 4th Contemporary Science Film Festival, curated by Natalia Fuchs, The Polytechnic Museum, Moscow, 2014.
- 'Poems about Light', The Blyth Gallery, Imperial College London, 2014.
- 'FilmLab', Made in New York Media Centre, Brooklyn, New York; Imagine Science Film Festival, 2013.
- 'The Poetics of Science', Rockefeller University, New York; Imagine Science Film Festival, 2013.
- 'Sun Cinema', Imperial Festival, South Kensington, London, 2013.
- 'MadeCurious', two giant billboards on the streets of London. With Imperial College and Hi-Rezz, 2012.
- 'Beyond Ourselves', The Royal Society, London. With: Agata Agatowska, Chris Dunseath, Sam Knowles, David Rickard and Chooc Ly Tan, 2011.
- 'Beyond Ourselves', Lace Market Gallery, Nottingham, The British Art Show Fringe. With Agata Agatowska, Chris Dunseath, Sam Knowles and Chooc Ly Tan, 2010.
- 'MK Fringe National Painting Prize' Milton Keynes - competition finalist, judges: Phoebe Unwin, artist; Michael Stanley, Turner Prize judge and director of Modern Art, Oxford, 2009.
- 108 Fine Art, Harrogate - specially commissioned paintings with Alan Davie, Ansel Krut, Adrian Wiszniewski and others, 2009.
- India Art Summit, Emerging World Art, Delhi, with James Green, Guler Ates, Will Martyr, 2008.
- 'In Search of Beauty', Menier Gallery, London, with Patrick Caulfield, Josef Albers, John Hoyland, 2008.
Awards, Selections and Competitions
- 4th Contemporary Science Film Festival, film selected, Moscow, 2014.
- Imagine Science Film Festival selection, two films screened, New York, 2013.
- EPSRC funded award from Imperial College London, 2012.
- Leverhulme Trust, Artist in Residence Award, 2011.
- British Arts Council Award, 2010.
- Fringe MK Painting Prize 2009, exhibited finalist. Selected by Turner Prize judge, the late Michael Stanley.
- British Arts Council Award, 2008.
- Sherbourne House Open, finalist, 2007.
- Nottingham Open, finalist, 2007.
- City and Guilds of London Art History Prize, 2004.
- Roger de Grey Prize for Drawing, City and Guilds of London Art School, 2003.
Education & Previous Work
- BA Honours, Fine Art Painting, City and Guilds of London School of Art.
- BSc Honours, Physics, Loughborough University.
- Associate Partner at Accenture.
Talks & Broadcasts
- Soho Radio, 27th November, 2017.
- Imperial College London, Department of Physics, December, 2017.
- Durham University, QSUM Project, September, 2017.
- 'This Tremendous World of Interconnecting Hierarchies', CDT Festival, Imperial College London, April 2017.
- Imperial College London, Department of Physics, December, 2016.
- 'This Tremendous World of Interconnecting Hierarchies', part of 'Monopoles' Exhibition, curated by Emma Stirling, Yates Norton and Oli Gould, October 2016.
- Imperial College London, Complexity Centre, October, 2016.
- Imperial College London, Department of Physics, November, 2015.
- Cambridge Festival of Ideas. Presentations of perspectives and ideas with researchers at Cambridge Nanotechnology Centre. Intoduced by Prof Jeremy Baumberg and Thereza Wells of Artakt. October, 2015.
- TEDx Marrakesh, February, 2015.
- Imperial College London, Department of Physics, February, 2015.
- Southwark Cathedral, London, March 2014: Pre-concert discussion on the relationship between science, religion and art with Father Christopher Jamison, Iain McGilchrist & Peter Fudakowski.
- Portsmouth University, Contemporary Fine Art, February, 2014.
- Kingston University, Graphic Design, February, 2014.
- Imperial College London, Department of Physics, December, 2013.
- The Centre for Neuro Imaging Sciences, Kings College, London. September, 2013.
- Institute of Cosmology and Gravitation, University of Portsmouth, July, 2013.
- Imperial College London, Department of Physics. May, 2013.
- The Institute of Physics Higher Education Group. October, 2012.
Example Projects with Schools and Young People
- Wyton on the Hill School, Cambridgeshire. Sun, Space and Stars', with Dr Helen Mason of Cambridge University and colleagues. March 2018.
- Armagh Observatory and Planetarium. 'Solar System', with Dr Helen Mason of Cambridge University. October 2017.
- Northbury School, Barking, Essex. 'Sun, Space and Stars', with Dr Helen Mason of Cambridge University and colleagues. March 2017.
- Kingsley School, Cheshire. 'Sun, Space and Stars', with Dr Helen Mason of Cambridge University and colleagues. February 2017.
- St James School, Kensington. 'Universe Day', with Dagny Youssuf Kimberley and Prof Jonathan Halliwell of Imperial College London. April 2015.
- Fashion Access Direct. 'Physics Meets Fashion', national fashion design competition. November 2014.
- St Ambrose Barlow School, Salford. 'Sun Project', with Dr Helen Mason of Cambridge University and Venture Thinking. March 2014.